Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Prayer


Oils on canvas (12×16 inches)

What a delight to paint this beautiful child! I love painting so much and this little girl with her sweet and innocent beauty captured everything I would wish for children all over the world. I don’t know who she really is but I named her ‘Sarah’.

So, for my little ‘Sarah’ and all the little ‘Sarahs’ all over the world:

An Irish Prayer

May God give you…
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.


6 comments:

Baker Watson said...

I saw this when you posted, but didn't have a chance to comment.

Great work. I can see you poured yourself into this one. You captured the same type feelings evident in so many of your wildlife paintings, particularly the big cats.

I showed it to GG last night. We were both very impressed. It's excellent. You did well, my friend.

We also checked out servant girl at work. One can just imagine what thoughts might be going through her mind as she completes her daily tasks. Is she lost in thoughts and dreams of far away places she will never see? Of family she hasn't seen for days or weeks? Of someone special that barely knows she exists? Of her own child or children to be?

We will never know, but I'm looking forward to the finished work.

Avril Brand said...

Thank you, Baker. Yes, I really enjoyed painting this lovely child. She has such magical little face!

The Servant Girl is going to take some time as I want to try to give the painting the look of the old Dutch Masters... don't know if I will succeed. To me, the Dutch Masters were the best in painting life. So, I really appreciate how you read into the painting because that is exactly what I would like the viewer to see it... wonder about what is going on in the girl's mind!!!

Kat said...

Wow! My friend has one almost just like this when she made her first communion in Ireland many, many years ago. It is beautiful!!

Avril Brand said...

Thank you so much, irishkat!

Baker Watson said...

Well fancy running into irishkat here in your comments. How neat is that?

Baker

Avril Brand said...

:-) I visited her from your link! And she is Irish!!! LOL