Sunday, July 19, 2009

We must appreciate every day

My heart breaks for my dearest friend who lost her beloved so tragically July 16 2009. I will never find the words to say how much I feel her sadness but can only be there for her whenever she needs me. Death does not always give us the chance to say goodbye.

An Irish Prayer

Death is nothing at all.
It does not count.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
Everything remains as it was.
The old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by the old familiar name.
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no sorrow in your tone.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effort
Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was.
There is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner.
All is well. Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost.
One brief moment and all will be as it was before.
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting, when we meet again.

Sermon written by Henry Scott Holland



2 comments:

Tammy said...

My condolences to your friend. You're right, all you can do is be there for her, but that is exactly what she needs right now.

The prayer was beautiful.

Avril Brand said...

Thank you for the comment Tammy. It's all anyone can do for a dear friend. And also realise how important it is to appreciate your loved ones every day.
Hugsxxx